Volkswagen Key Fob Issues
It can be pretty frustrating to have your Volkswagen practically shouting in your face that the “Key is Not in Range,” especially when it seems to you that the key is, in fact, in range. Why would a Volkswagen vehicle, something normally so beloved and trustworthy, do such a thing? Is it just a mean-spirited prank, or is there another reason?
Read More Volkswagen Tips & Tricks
The most common reason for a seemingly-faulty “Key Not in Range” error is that the battery in your key fob is low or dead. If the battery is just low, you can often still use the fob by pressing it against your Volkswagen push-button start button. If your battery is totally dead, watch the video below for instructions on how to enter and start your vehicle manually.
Replacing the Battery in your Volkswagen Key Fob
To fully solve the problem and get your key fob working again, you’ll have to change the battery. A Volkswagen key fob can be replaced with the help of a:
- New CR2032 battery (can be purchased at an office supply or electronics store)
- Key ring with a circumference of about one inch
- Small flat-head screwdriver
Got the materials above? Okay, you’re ready to follow the steps below.
- Extend the key by pushing the button on the key fob.
- Place the key ring over your index finger.
- Pull the key fob apart from this angle until it splits open (in a good way).
- One of the sections you’ll see is known as the “Remote Case,” and can be identified by the fact that it has a seam. Separate the sections at the seam using the small flat-head screwdriver. After you do so, the battery should reveal itself.
- Remove the battery from the case.
- Insert the new battery you’ve purchased. Place the positive side facing down.
- Close the remote case and reconnect the two sections of the fob.
What if I replaced the battery but my key fob still doesn’t work?
If you replace the battery and still have issues, your key fob is likely just broken. Our service center will be happy to help you get a replacement.
extra key not woking, owner manual says to put on special
My 2019 keyfobs work off and on even with a fresh battery. Bad key design vw. The dealer does not know the issue and is reluctant to order new keys.